List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Akonadi being a desktop-indepent standard
From:       Holger Berndt <berndth () gmx ! de>
Date:       2008-08-20 20:06:17

Hi Kevin,

On Mi, 20.08.2008 19:22, Kevin Krammer wrote:

>I slightly disagree that mail storage would be a core competence of a MUA
>unless it has very tight coupling between its features and the way the data
>is actually stored on disk.

I probably picked the wrong wording. I rather meant core component that
the devs think should not be outsourced. Claws Mail uses standard MH
plus some cache, so nothing fancy.

>.service files are not good enought for this kind of scenario since they
>basically are very static configuration.

Indeed, I don't know when D-Bus checks those files for changes,
or how it caches this information.

>When discussing the issue of user configurable service choice with the D-Bus
>folks we ended up with an idea to use a specially priviledged service to
>configure the activation during runtime, though nobody has started any work
>on implementing it.

Maybe it should just check the service files for changes on every
invocation. After all, that's only necessary if services are requested
that are currently not running, and checking file or directory
modification dates is fast.

>It is also a bit more complex on the application's side since they need to
>know when to register the respective bus name, otherwise manually launching
>an application which is not the preferred one will have all calls routed to
>itself instead of getting the preferred one autostarted.

That's a good point. Preventing manually-started applications from
"stealing" these interfaces makes things indeed more complicated.

>Though at least in the case of an Akonadi based setup using a direct
>connection will get better results and might be preferable for applications
>which operate on the data as their main target, e.g. mail for MUAs.

Absolutely.

Holger