List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Akonadi being a desktop-indepent standard
From:       "David Jarvie" <djarvie () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-08-18 15:34:20

On Monday 18 August 2008 13:45, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Monday 18 August 2008, Holger Berndt wrote:
>> David Jarvie schrieb:
>> > Akonadi provides data access and caching, not data storage. So there
>> is
>> > no question of outsourcing actual mail message storage - you can
>> continue
>> > to store data in the format you currently use.
>>
>> Thanks for explaining that to me.
>>
>> > To access a data store,
>> > Akonadi uses a 'resource' which knows about the particular storage
>> format
>> > and how to access it. If you want to store your email data in mbox
>> > format, for example, an Akonadi mbox resource will be required. If no
>> > resource currently exists for a storage type, the ResourceBase class
>> in
>> > the Akonadi library provides the basis for writing a new resource to
>> > access it.
>
> While Akonadi server is not a storage itself as David explained, from a
> client
> application's point of view it acts as a storage.
>
> An application could still use its own storage for some data, e.g. in your
> case email, and Akonadi for others, e.g. contacts.

I find this statement a bit confusing. I presume what you mean by this is
that you might just use whatever default storage is accessed via Akonadi
for, in this example, contacts. But that Akonadi still doesn't actually
have its own storage - the contacts are still likely to be stored as vcard
data for example?

--
David Jarvie.
KAlarm author & maintainer.