List:       kde-pim
Subject:    [Kde-pim] Akonadi being a desktop-indepent standard
From:       Holger Berndt <berndth () gmx ! de>
Date:       2008-08-16 10:12:18

Hello PIM people,

I am a supporter of the desktop independant, GTK+ based mail user agent
Claws Mail. Its (few) developers are pretty evenly split between
between being KDE, GNOME, and XFCE users.

I've thought many times that it would be great to have a
freedesktop.org standard for PIM component access and interaction.
Ideally, this would allow for all PIM components implementing this spec
to be interchangable with out loosing integration, so the user could
choose calendar, addressbook, mailer etc independantly, and still have
a fully integrated PIM suite.

This would also ease common tasks like synchronization. For example,
not every PIM suite would have to write its own OpenSync plugin, but a
single plugin implementing the spec would be enough for all PIM
solutions.

I was made aware that Akonadi may actually aim towards this goal, and
might be interested in not only supporting KDE but being desktop
independant.

Googling around I found this thread from a year ago:
http://lists.kde.org/?t=118583310600004&r=1&w=2
which goes in that direction but drifts a little off towards the
end.

What is your current view on this? Is Akonadi aiming to have no KDE
dependancies, and provide services also for non-KDE programs?

Note that many useful tasks would probably not even require a daemon,
but could be implemented client-side based on a D-Bus spec.
Synchronization would be an example, that would mostly just require a
standardized set of get/add/delete/modify interface methods for
addressbook, calendar, and notes.

Holger