On Saturday 10 May 2008 17:09:25 Kevin Krammer wrote: > Hi folks, > > earlier this week I renamed our (Akonadi's) D-Bus interfaces from org.kde > to org.freedesktop namespace to avoid anybody seeing that as a KDE > dependency. > > While doing that I encountered the one currently used between server and > tray: org.freedesktop.akonaditray > > For those not following the development that closely, this basically allows > the server, resources and agents to get some parent window when they need > to open a window/dialog or to send notifications to. > > The current implementation is a system tray application > (kdepim/akonadi/tray) since this is known to work on all desktop > environments. > > However, a system tray is a specific implementation of this service, e.g. > others might want to implement it as a Plasmoid or GNOME panel applet, so > I'd prefer to have a more generic name for the service and its interface. > > Therefore I'd like to ask for suggestions, probably something like > org.freedesktop.Akonadi.UserInterface > or > org.freedesktop.Akonadi.WindowPeer > > Cheers, > Kevin Why should the server have control of the GUI directly (i.e. have a concept of a UI or Window)? IMHO a server should just send out signals/notifications on which the UI should act. If a 'conversation' needs to take place, the server could send out a signal/notification synchronously, which triggers the UI to perform the conversation with the user, and then returns a result from the conversation. This way the server can stick to the domain model, and the UI implementation does not need to conform to and expose a UI interface. It all sounds a bit like a (indirect, through dbus) circular dependency to me. grtz, Sander _______________________________________________ KDE PIM mailing list kde-pim@kde.org https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-pim KDE PIM home page at http://pim.kde.org/