List:       kde-pim
Subject:    [Kde-pim] KDE PIM 4.1 Plans
From:       Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-02-02 17:23:10

We had a discussion about the plans for KDE PIM in KDE 4.1 at the Osnabrueck
meeting and came up with the following:

KDE 4.1 will be released in July, feature freeze is end of April. This will
include KDE PIM as the first KDE 4 based release of KDE PIM. We plan to
include the following features:

- Stable release of all applications (including Kontact, KMail, KOrganizer,
KAddressbook, and all the other KDE PIM apps) ported to KDE 4
- Applications will still use the KResources framework
- Merge of all the features of the enterprise branch
- Initial release of the Windows and Mac OS ports of KDE PIM

The plan for Akonadi is to make KDE PIM 4.1 the Akonadi Platform release. That
means that libakonadi and the required infrastructure is moved to kdepimlibs,
so that third-party applications and resources can be developed based on
Akonadi.

This also will be the base for an incremental port of the existing KDE PIM
apps to Akonadi. The goal is to do this in trunk by refactoring the existing
applications, but keeping the apps stable.

The KDE 4 version of Mailody already uses Akonadi. It's the first full
application which makes use of the new backend infrastructure. Mailody is
likely to be released once the Akonadi Platform is available in a stable
version.

To make migration easier there also exists a bridge which makes Akonadi data
available through the KResources framework. It might be nice to also
implement an Akonadi agent who can talk to the old KResources.

There are also first Akonadi resources and plasmoids in playground. We hope
that more of this will emerge as the platform gets more stable, complete and
available.

The long-term mission of Akonadi is to provide a cross-platform cross-desktop
storage service for KDE PIM data. So it's not meant to be limited to KDE.
APIs for other environments or other programming languages than C++ are very
welcome.

If there are questions or comments about the KDE PIM 4.1 plans, please don't
hesitate to speak up and discuss the plan. I personally think this will be an
exciting release, and by not trying to do the full port to Akonadi at once,
I'm pretty confident that we will get a stable and usable version of Kontact
with 4.1.