List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] K-Mail with a QT-Messenger: RS.
From:       "Jos Poortvliet" <jos () mijnkamer ! nl>
Date:       2007-08-21 11:14:08

On 8/21/07, Michael Schmidt <schmidtm524@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hello
>
> as I was told (not time yet to search yor SVN code), K-Mail (as well
> withing K-PIM) is based on QT gui.

Yep, together with the KDE libraries. This means (if you don't know) that
they use those libraries so they don't have to duplicate so much work...
OO.o has written it's own toolkit, like we use Qt.

I have the request
> (1) to bring K-Mail to OpenOffice.org as the Email client

This would mean OO.o would need to ship the Qt and KDE libraries. No biggy,
except that they won't do that.

(2) to integrate an Instant Messenger into K-Mail

KMail already works with Kopete, and this will improve over time. KDE 4
introduces a lot new infrastructure stuff which will make integration of
services like this much easier.

Google Mail has google Talk integrated and all IM īs have now offline
> Messaging and Thunderbrid is integrating an IM as well.
>
> There is a new messenger out, which is based as well on QT. And which
> is serveless and open source.

Why another messenger, we have Kopete. Kopete works already with
KMail/Kontact, and they are sharing more and more infrastructure. It
supports a lot of IM systems, and will most likely use Decibel soon, which
will lead to sharing the development of the underlying infrastructure for IM
with other projects through the use of Telepathy.

> This could be implemented easily (with the basic functions:
> login/create account, friendslist, personal chat window as a hook/pop
> up window, filebrowse, Options for routersettings) into Kmail.
>
> Or: added to the PIM Suite and K-Office Suite.
>
> Neverminded: Kmail with IM could be the Messenger in OOo and K-Office as
> well.
>
> OOo Managers asked RS IM to become the OOo Messenger component:
> http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=1753227&forum_id=618174

Why don't they ask a more mature project out there, like Kopete? Anyway,
it's cool they want to work with other projects, of course. They're welcome
to join KDE and work more with us. Though we have KOffice, which will kick
their asses as soon as 2.0 is released ;-)

I want to ask, if there is interest to have K-mail the Email
> application for OOo.
> And if one can integrate the online presence function of RS Messenger
> into Kmail,

Let them work with the other freedesktop standards instead of doing ad-hoc
integration. Working with Telepathy and Akonadi would be much better, as
that would mean integration with all apps that work with those
infrastructures, so much less duplication of effort.

What I mean is: I think they should work with other projects on a lower
level. Use these libraries, instead of writing application-specific
integration code. This improves quality and choice for the users. So why
would OO.o want to ship a PIM solution themselves? Let them integrate with
Akonadi and Decibel. If they want to know who you are, they ask Akonadi. If
they want to see if you're online, they ask Decibel. If they want to send an
email, they ask Akonadi (which asks KMail or whatever Akonadi email client
you use). If they want to chat, they ask Decibel, which invokes Kopete (or
whatever messenger you use with Decibel). As KMail and Kopete use these same
infrastructural things, they are working seamless together at that point.
And the user still has a choice, they're not forced to use the stuff which
comes with OO.o - it works seamless with all solutions out there (that are
compattible with Akonadi and Decibel of course).

Thanks for some feedback