List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] rfcdecoder move to lib?
From:       Tom Albers <tomalbers () kde ! nl>
Date:       2007-02-07 9:47:57

Hi Ingo,

At Tuesday 06 February 2007 23:55, you wrote:
> Pretty much all files list only a single person although multiple
> persons have worked on them. You will have to ask all people who have
> committed changes.
> http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/KDE/kdepim/kioslave/imap4/rfcdecoder
> cc?rev=540424&view=log
> lists quite a few people whom you might have to ask. Maybe you can leave
> out a few people who just made trivial commits, but everybody else you
> will have to ask.

Ok, I will do that later this week, I hope to get a reaction from Sven first, else \
the excersise is useless anyway.

> > And to you all, is that ok with you to move it to kdepimlibs and
> > where should it go? kdepimlibs/emailfunctions is a candidate but
> > that's a bit general for this specific imap lib.
>
> kdepimlibs/kmime would be more appropriate. At least for the RFC
> 2047/2231 codecs. But doesn't kmime already include such decoders?

Yes, for me the primary reason is the fromImap and toImap functions, which should be \
renamed to encodeImapFolderName() and decodeImapFolderName(). This is used the \
correctly encode umlauts & co in the communication to the IMAP-server. So it has \
little to do with kmime.

> > Are there any other copyright holders? svn log mentions several
> > people, but that's all due to porting or tiny fixes I think.
> Also the code needs to be cleaned up. For example, the decoding methods
> should take QByteArray arguments and the encoding methods should return
> QByteArray. After all RFC 2047 and RFC 2231 encoded strings are ASCII.
>
> And looking at (which is just a random code snippet I saw when glancing
> over the code)
> signed char *latin = (signed char *) calloc (1, _str.length () + 1);
> char *latin_us = (char *) latin;
> strcpy (latin_us, _str.toLatin1 ());
> makes me cringe.

Not sure if that's in the functions I'm using, but this kind of code is far beyond my \
knowledge, so if it needs to be cleaned up we need a volunteer for that.

Thanks for the feedback,

Toma