List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Mail filtering
From:       Ingo =?iso-8859-15?q?Kl=F6cker?= <kloecker () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-10-10 19:39:32

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 09 October 2006 17:29, Volker Krause wrote:
> On Sunday 08 October 2006 12:44, Andreas Gungl wrote:
> > Can someone tell me please if the filter implementation is going to
> > stay in KMail, or is it intended to move it to Akonadi? I don't
> > want to ride a dead horse but invest my little spare time in code
> > which will stay.
>
> I'm not yet sure about this, both ways are possible and have certain
> (dis-)advantages:
>
> Filtering in Akonadi:
> + works also if KMail is not running, usefull for mail notification
> applets, etc.
> + works also for other applications handling similar data (eg.
> KNode).
> - makes handling of notifications in Akonadi more complex
> (they need to be send out after filtering has finished)

Not necessarily. The apps receiving the notifications can either delay
notification until they get the signal "message retrieval finished" or
they can update the number each time a new notification arrives. The
former would be used for showing a popup and the latter would be used
for something like KMail's applet.

> - probably needs to distinguish the source of new data in Akonadi
> (you probably don't want to spam-filter mails you dnd into your
> inbox)

That's not necessary. Messages which need to be filtered are not put
into the inbox but into a special to-be-filtered folder.

> Filtering in KMail:
> + already there
> - works only for KMail, code duplication in similar apps
>

> I would prefer filtering being done by an Akonadi agent, although I'm
> not yet sure how to integrate it correctly.

It should work like a pipe. The agents talking to the POP/IMAP servers
pass the messages to the filter manager and the filter manager then
moves the messages to the correct folders. A possible solution not
requiring very much IPC would be the agents putting the messages into a
certain local maildir folder and the filter manager watches this folder
and filters all messages which arrive in the folder. If more
information is needed, e.g. the whole message from the IMAP server,
then the filter manager requests the whole message via IPC. This would
also be very robust because messages can't be lost between two
processes.

Regards,
Ingo