List:       kde-pim
Subject:    [Kde-pim] Report from KDE PIM BoF at aKademy in Dublin
From:       Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-09-27 12:07:24

We had an one hour BoF at aKademy yesterday and talked about some things.

Volker and Tobias gave an overview about the status of Akonadi. We have
something like a basic storage, the search providers are being designed. We
are pretty short on developers, so progress is not as good as we would want
it to be. There was a discussion about some technical questions. Will took
some notes if I remember correctly. Attached is a list of some usage
scenarios for Akonadi which were collected at the BoF.

We also briefly talked about KitchenSync. There is a new release of OpenSync
0.19 which is able to sync KDE using the KDE frontend (which is KitchenSync).
We should think about doing a release of KitchenSync fitting to the OpenSync
0.19. A first stable release is depending on the OpenSync schedule.

Then we had a discussion about how to attract new developers. We collected a
list of ideas how this could be done:
- Blog about what's going on
- Hype the hell out of the cool things we are doing
- Spread positive feelings
- Invite 10% newcomers to development meetings
- Make talks in schools, colleges, etc.
- Offer mentoring for new developers
- Invite non-developers to meetings
- Make sure there are up-to-date KDevelop project files
- Do developer days and invite students to them.

["bof_kdepim_dublin.txt" (text/plain)]

Use Cases

- real time data associated to contacts/addresses
- clients "synchronizing" with imap servers
- clients crawling pop3 servers
- client "synchronizing" with groupwise server

Scenarios
=========
- I want an applet showing number of unread mails
- I want to know online status of peers
- I want to know online status of person of whoms mail I am currently reading
- I want to use the diary of Kontact as a wiki client.
- Quering contacts from a specific group
	(could be specified as a group tag)
- Adding and querying for contacts based on notes that were added to it (dynamic)