List:       kde-pim
Subject:    [Kde-pim] BoF@aKademy: Communication & Collaboration
From:       "Friedrich W. H. Kossebau" <Friedrich.W.H () kossebau ! de>
Date:       2006-08-24 16:03:35

Hi,
sorry for the cross-post. Please follow up on kopete-devel@kde.org.

Am Donnerstag, 6. Juli 2006 00:25, schrieb Michaël Larouche in reply
to "Integration with a general contacts framework" on kopete-devel@kde.org:
> I think a Communication BoF would be really needed in Dublin to discuss all
> this matter with Decibel team, our own team in real life and maybe KDE PIMs
> people.

I just had a look at http://conference2006.kde.org/codingmarathon/bof.php and
so far nobody seems to have registered such a BoF. There is a Bof
on "Collaboration & Web Services" but Josef just told me there collaboration
is meant in terms of doing interactive "talk" via SOAP with a server, not
(human) beings.

So are you still interested in such a BoF? I am :)

I pushed the design of the contact framework a little further, filled quite
some papers on my desktop, and am a little excited of what should be easily
possible with it. The framework will be split in three parts:
For one the successor of kabc, implementing the data/entity part and be
plugged into Akonadi.
For the second a framework for general services on persons/group of persons,
like status, action and data action, dependant on the (system specific)
properties of these.
For the third there will be a general ui framework, offering some general
purpose widgets to display a person/group (of persons) with built-in support
for displaying (system) state, menus of actions and whatever, using the other
two frameworks. Or adaptors which fill own menus/actioncollections with
possible actions. To be used whereever persons/groups are used in a system.
Like display of file properties, partners in a chat system, email sender,
document author, svn accounts, etc.
So code to display a person or group would become
	Organ *organ = Organs::findOrganBySystem( addressInSystem, "systemid" );
	OrganLabel * label = new OrganLabel( organ );
	label->adaptALittle();
	label->show();
and get support for everything registered to the service framework by free.

This way Kopete (and Decibel) projects could concentrate on the
communication/collaboration systems, using the kabc successor to store the
person/group specific data, implementing some service adaptors to plug in the
service framework, and using the ui framework to get support for all other
person specific systems (like action and status for email, homepage, phone,
chat, blog, note, online gallery...)

Oh well, something to present and discuss in a BoF, not a quickly written
e-mail :P

To get a first idea, just compile and install the experimental (and a little
old) KDE3 version found in trunk/playground/pim/contactsapplet (which should
be rather called contactsframework these days but I hesitated to move files
even more around). The version in svn does not yet have support for groups
and grouping. But e.g. just think what the Kopete contact list would look
like as a kicker applet/extension.

Sadly I have zero time in the next three weeks, should not even write this
email. :/
So could anyone of you please try to register such a BoF in case? Thank you
very much. :)

Does anyone know of peope planning to support concurrent collaborative editing
of documents? They should be invited, too.

Regards
Friedrich

PS: I gave these contacts framework/libraries the name "Organs" for now, in
case you want to reference to it :P