List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Creating New User Accounts With Templates
From:       Ismail Onur Filiz <onurf () su ! sabanciuniv ! edu>
Date:       2006-08-18 22:24:44

Hi,

On Friday 18 August 2006 07:03, Adrien Guillon wrote:
>    Hello All,
>
>    Not so long ago, I finished a roll-out of 60 users on Kontact.  A lot of
> configuration settings were preset with the KDE configuration framework.
> However, one thing that I could not figure out how to do, was setting up
> default accounts for everybody.
>
>    The migration would have been smoother if I could have setup Kontact to
> create a default user-account for each user, with an account like
> $USER@somewhere.com, and just prompt them for their password during the
> first launch of Kontact.  Unfortunately, I could find no facility for doing
> this, nor could I find an easy hack.... we had to login as each user and
> setup their account manually.
>
>    Would it be possible to build such a feature, or is there such a feature
> but I missed it?  What would be a good way to accomplish this, for the
> benefit of others who might perform this kind of migration?

I am not sure what you mean by "creating a user-account" in Kontact, is it
configuring an email account, a calendar resource etc? Or is it setting up an
identity? In any case, if what you want to do doesn't require server access,
but is just a local set-up you can use bash and sed for it. To expand a bit,
the configuration file for say KMail is supposed to be in:
~/.kde/share/config/kmailrc , so you can create a template file, let's say
replacing the user name by "USERNAME", and use 'sed' to replace them by the
actual username,  then dispatch them to the relavant user directories. If you
meant identities, you should look at ~/.kde/share/config/emailidentities.

If you give a more explicit definition of what you want to do, I can be of
more help.

Best...