List:       kde-pim
Subject:    [Kde-pim] kaddressbook, kmail, and ldap resource
From:       David Bishop <dbishop () micron ! com>
Date:       2006-06-30 22:13:15

I writing to sanity check what I'm seeing.  I don't know if I have
misconfigured something, or if this is 'just the way it is'.

KDE 3.5.2 (self-compiled), 64-bit, RHEL 3, Update 7.

I can add the ldap server to the special 'ldap server' entry in the
kaddressbook configuration dialog, and it works.  It autocompletes in the
drop down list of kmail and everything.  Woohoo!

However, if I try and use the ldap resource instead, I run into problems.  It
still connects and everything, but it puts the first 1000 entries in the ldap
server into my addressbook (populated on the fly - I think - when I open
kaddressbook), but we have many more than 1000 entries.  After digging
around, I found out that the 1000 is a server-side limit.  That is, you can
only get 1000 results at a time, which makes sense from a performance
standpoint.

What I don't like about that is, well, I only get access to the first 1000
entries, whether from within the kaddressbook gui, or from the autocomplete
in kmail.  Heck, *I'm* not even in the first 1000 entries (I think we have
somewhere in the neighborhood of 24,000).  What I was hoping for was that
when I open kaddressbook, it would show all entries from 'local' resources
(well, my personal 'book is kept on the exchange server, but whatever) and
then, when you use the Search bar, or when you're typing a new address in
kmail, it would search the ldap server and return/show matches.  This keeps
from loading extraneous entries (better performance), and would actually
allow me to use the resource instead of the plugin (nice to have the same
interface to search *all* my contacts).

So did I miss something?  My archive searching only brought up some discussion
from back in 2002, so I didn't know if anything had changed.

Have a great day!

--
Some people remind me of slinkies.  Completely useless,
but it's fun to push them down the stairs. (Anon)

David Bishop