List:       kde-pim
Subject:    [Kde-pim] Resource status change delays using multiple applications
From:       David Jarvie <lists () astrojar ! org ! uk>
Date:       2006-06-01 0:04:04

I'm having a problem using one set of resources with two different
applications. KAlarm and kalarmd both access the same resources, and when
KAlarm changes the status of a resource, kalarmd needs to pick this up and
act appropriately.

When KAlarm changes an existing resource from inactive to active, it calls
     KRES::Manager<>::change(Resource*)
This saves the new config, and the resource library then calls the
ManagerObserver::resourceModified() method in kalarmd. However, in kalarmd's
resourceModified() method, the resource is still reported as inactive by
Resource::isActive(). The status returned by isActive() seems to change to
active a short time later, but its timing isn't reliable and sometimes things
fail because kalarmd still sees the resource as inactive.

There doesn't seem to be any function to force the resource's config to be
re-read, so I don't know how to get round this problem (which is presumably a
bug?). Any ideas from people who know more about the kresources library would
be welcome.

--
David Jarvie.
KAlarm author and maintainer.