List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] [RFC] Akonadi design
From:       Volker Krause <volker.krause () rwth-aachen ! de>
Date:       2006-05-12 14:56:49

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 08 May 2006 16:44, Tobias Koenig wrote:
> we (Cornelius, Martin Konold and me) had the chance to discuss the design
> of akonadi again at the LinuxTag in Wiesbaden last week.
>
> Martin gave some valuable input on how to make the current design even
> better in respect of robustness and scalablility.
> I attached a conslusion of the current design state, with a nice diagram
> and some explanations.

cool, this clears some of the (at least for me) more blurry spots in the
design :)
I especially like the way it is extensible for diffrent data types.

> There are still some questions left, where we should find an answer
> together:
>  1) shall the notification manager and resource manager be part of the
>     storage process?
>  2) which protocol is spoken between libakonadi and the search provider?
>  3) how does the resources integrate their configuration gui into
>     applications (Martin?)?
>  4) ...

Some comments/questions:

- we need to put the filter engine in there somewhere (given we still want to
do filtering in the backend), it also needs special handling in the
notification manager (ie. send notifications after filtering has been
finished).

- I assume search providers will build indices for often used fields (eg.
start dates for events)?

- where do cache policies fit into this design, ie. which part is responsible
to enforcing them? i guess it would probably be best part of the strorage

- we need access to partial data (eg. for header listing of a mail folder,
retrieving attachments on demand, etc.), that might require special support
by the storage.

regards
Volker