List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Yet another SOC idea
From:       "=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Aron_Bostr=F6m?=" <aron.bostrom () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-05-06 14:46:22

On 6.5.06, Till Adam wrote:

> you'll have to decide whether you want to work on top of the stable and
> reliable 3.5 codebase, and then maybe port to KDE4 later on, or help
> develop and shape KDEPim4.0/Akonadi itself directly.

It was my intention to submit my project application today (
http://www.forumscaniae.net/soc/index.php/Brief_Project_Plan), but now I am
unsure on how to proceed.

From my point of view, the project application I'm about to submit (GMail
conversation style mode for KMail) mostly concerns changes in the Graphical
User Interface, which in my opinion should require less dependency upon a
changing/non-existent Akonadi. Of course, it would still be unusable and
hard to develop without some way to store and retrieve e-mails.

Now, should I reevaluate my project plan and rewrite my project plan for
this?

As I see it, I have three options:
1) Stick with my initial plan to develop for KDE 4. And back port changes to
KDE 3.5 for users' input. When SoC ends, keep on maintaining my project
until KDE 4 is released.
2) Develop for KDE 3.5 and when SoC ends port it to KDE 4 and maintain it
until KDE 4 turns final.
3) Develop for KDE 4 alongside helping out with Akonadi. When SoC ends,
continue implementing less priority left-over features.

Either is fine with me, but which should I choose? Or should I make my plan
severely less detailed and state that details will be worked out when I have
reached a decision following consultation with my mentor?

Aron