List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Proposal: New module "kdepimlibs"
From:       Volker Krause <volker.krause () rwth-aachen ! de>
Date:       2006-04-22 14:32:36

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Saturday 22 April 2006 09:45, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> On Friday 21 April 2006 14:31, Volker Krause wrote:
> > IMHO we should try to fix the issues (missing BIC prevention, licensing,
> > dependencies, etc.) first before we create a new module. Apart from that
> > it's probably just a matter of a few svn commands and a bit of cmake
> > code, the really crucial thing is the changed dependency-policy anyway.
>
> I think it would be easier to fix and adapt the code when it already would
> be in a separate module. So you immediately see when dependencies are wrong
> by a failed compile, it's clear which code it is which needs the BIC stuff
> or the license change, etc.

Well, all technical stuff can be changed later if this is preferred, since I'm
sure we can solve them. However, licensing is diffrent, solving these issues
can take an abitrary amount of time.
IMHO we should at least try to do the necessary license changes first, but
maybe I'm just over-estimating the needed work here. Who need to be asked for
changing the license exactly? Just the copyright holders? Everyone who
comitted a tiny compile fix?

Here is a list of the candidates from kdepim (I assume those in kdelibs are
already ok) and their license(s):

- libkcal: mostly LGPL v2+, one class (confirmsavedialog.*) GPL v2+, libical:
LGPL (undefined version), versit: unknown, probably ok (BSD?)

relicensing of the GPL class will probably be easy, main contributer is
Conrnelius, some minor changes by various other still active people.

- akonadiserver: LGPL v2+ (but isn't a library anyway)

- libakonadi: LGPL v2+

- libemailfunctions: partly LGPL v2, partly LGPL v2+

- libsyndication: LGPL v2+

- libkmime: partly GPL v2+, partly GPL v2

Mostly by Marc Mutz, but also larger contributions from now inactive people
like Christian Gebauer. Might be a lot more work to change.

- libkholidays: Partly GPL v2+, partly unknown.

Mostly Cornelius and Allen for the known parts, no idea where the unknown
parts are from. Might be trickey because of the latter.

- libkdepim: various versions of GPL and LGPL, but needs to be evaluated
class-by-class anyway.

regards
Volker