List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Error building with cmake
From:       David Jarvie <lists () astrojar ! org ! uk>
Date:       2006-04-12 10:35:45

On Wed Apr 12  1:49 , Mark Bucciarelli <mark@easymailings.com> sent:

>On Wed, Apr 12, 2006 at 12:05:46AM +0100, David Jarvie wrote:
>> Whenever I try to build kdepim using cmake, I get the following error:
>>
>> $ cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/opt/kde4.0 ~/src/svn/trunk/kdepim
>> -- Check for working C compiler: gcc
>> -- Check for working C compiler: gcc -- works
>> -- Check size of void*
>> -- Check size of void* - done
>> -- Check for working CXX compiler: c++
>> -- Check for working CXX compiler: c++ -- works
>> -- This is a SVN repository
>> -- Using Buildname: Linux-c++
>> Could not find KDE4
>> -- Configuring done
>>
>> I can't find anything in the log files to indicate what the reason is. The KDE
>> 4 bin directory is in PATH.
>
>Locate the file FindKDE4.cmake and look at the paths it is searching.
>
>If it looks kosher, check CMAKE_MODULE_PATH by putting
>
>    MESSAGE(STATUS "CMAKE_MODULE_PATH=$CMAKE_MODULEPATH" )
>
>in the CMakeLists.txt and re-run cmake.
>
>If the path looks good, put a message in FindKDE4.cmake to make sure it
>get's included.
>
>The messages go to stdout.
>
>I would guess FindKDE4.cmake doesn't use MAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX.

Thanks. I'll try it tonight when I get home.

But the fact that you have to edit files just to tell cmake where your KDE
installation is, concerns me. There are various pointers to the location of KDE in the
environmental variables - PATH contains KDE's bin/ directory, KDEDIR etc (which I know
is to become obsolete). Editing a file is far from obvious or user friendly -
autotools handles such things better. I hope that the actual release version of cmake
will do this without manual intervention.

--
David Jarvie.
KAlarm author & maintainer.