List:       kde-pim
Subject:    [Kde-pim] Kaddressbook to LDAP conversion HOWTO?
From:       Robin Atwood <robin () binro ! org>
Date:       2006-03-02 12:59:38

I thought it was time I converted my address book to LDAP so I could share it
everywhere. I emerged (this is a Gentoo system) openldap, configured my
domain into slapd.conf and fired it up.  I then exported my address book
to .ldif format. I then tried ldapadd to import the addresses but this failed
(bad DN or some such). A bit of searching and it seemed I should be using
slapadd. I tried that and got:
slapadd: could not parse entry (line=9)

Line 9 is empty and some more research showed entries must be separated by
blank lines. So I editted the .ldif file to make sure each empty line
contained one blank. This produced:
slapadd: could not parse entry (line=1091)

where line 1091 is the last, blank line. Hmmm. Try again with some debug and:

opal ~ # slapadd -l addressbook.ldif -v -d 2
bdb_db_init: Initializing BDB database
str2entry: entry -1 has invalid DN "cn=Latcheva, Natalia,mail="
slapadd: could not parse entry (line=1091)

The DN is the first line in the file. Doco on LDAP and kaddressbook seems to
be sparse to non-existent. Anybody any idea where to go from here? (I checked
into kolab but that also seems to use openldap.)

I am using KDE 3.5.1 and OpenLDAP 2.2.28-r4.
TIA
-Robin.
Robin Atwood.

         from "Mandalay" by Rudyard Kipling