List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] custom properties problem in libical
From:       thorsten () staerk ! de
Date:       2006-02-26 19:48:18

> Am Sonntag, 26. Februar 2006 11:38 schrieb thorsten@staerk.de:
>> Dear List,
>>
>> Isaac pointed me to a very interesting problem in bugs.kde.org/122643.
>> kArm stores a "desktoplist" for each task, associating a list of
>> desktops,
>> e.g. "1,2,3" with a task. This desktop list is a custom property
>> (X-KDE-karm-desktopList) within the iCal file. Saving and loading worked
>> fine with KDE 3.4.
>> With KDE 3.5, saving still works fine, but loading no longer.
>>
>> As I can tell from debugging icalformatimpl.cpp, function
>> ICalFormatImpl::readCustomProperties (thanks Adriaan for the good work),
>> libical no longer reads X-KDE-karm-desktoplist no longer as "1,2,3", but
>> as "1", then again as "2", then again as "3", thus overwriting this
>> property so only the last element in the comma-separated list is left.
>
> The problem is simply that we lack a method to read custom lists...
> We can't just read
> as "1,2,3", since that will terribly fail for cases like:
>     X-KDE-Some-ListTest:"a\,b","c\,d"
> which is a list of two elements ('a,b' and 'c,d', without the quotes). The
> parser already un-escapes the commas, so the proposed behavior would
> return
> 'a,b,c,d', which is a list of four values....

at the moment, libkcal would set X-KDE-Some-ListTest to "a,b", then read
the next custom property (which is X-KDE-Some-ListTest) and OVERWRITE it
with "c,d".
With my patch (to be written), libkcal will return X-KDE-Some-ListTest not
overwritten, but enhanced (appended) with the second element ("c,d").

Thorsten