List:       kde-pim
Subject:    [Kde-pim] pim.kde.org needs a new webmaster
From:       Adriaan de Groot <groot () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-11-10 21:37:30

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hi gang,

For some time now, my name has been dangling on the end of the pim.kde.org
webpages, doing little. Not getting any mail either, so the site is
apparently not awful or particularly broken. However, I haven't done anything
with it, nor will I have time to do so for the foreseeable future. So I'm
tossing the towel into the ring.

Now, this doesn't particularly mean that anyone else needs to pick it up (it's
an icky towel, some nasty floral pattern and Roosta, its previous owner, had
one corner soaked in anti-depressants). After all, everyone on the pim.k.o
"People" page has write access to the site -- it's in SVN,
https://svn.kde.org/home/kde/trunk/www/areas/pim . I haven't spotted anyone
_else_ doing work on the site over the past year, but you never know. Maybe.

Remember that the purpose of pim.kde.org was defined during the PIM-NL meeting
as a _developer_ website, with developer information, convenient links to
other developer sites, and an architectural overview. That should be -- needs
to be -- maintainted. Eventually kontact.kde.org will do the user
information. There's a number of older pages (in components/ mostly) that are
still user-oriented; these are linked to from externals so they're still
there, bit-rotting away and marked with an 'old content' warning. It may be
worthwhile to pick them up and give them development content.

The menu system used on pim.k.o is a weird hack over top of Cornelius'
webbrewery code from years back. It's not particularly documented, but the
file layout (pim.content) should speak for itself. The reason we went for
this instead of using the standard media/ system menus is that these were a
better fit for what we had in mind -- deep nesting of menus. It may be that
media/ nowadays does a better job, I'm not sure.

That's all, I'll be removing myself from the 'webmaster' link this weekend and
redirecting any site-related traffic to this list.

[ade]

PS. I _will_ still be trying to work with Marlena on the kontact.org website,
that's a whole different animal.

--
These are your friends - Adem
    GPG: FEA2 A3FE Adriaan de Groot