List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] A Daemon Alternative
From:       Mark Bucciarelli <mark () easymailings ! com>
Date:       2005-10-17 2:32:01

On Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 01:58:05AM +0200, Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:

> Am Sonntag, 16. Oktober 2005 16:54 schrieb Tobias Koenig:
>
> > On Sat, Oct 15, 2005 at 05:59:40PM +0200, Martin Konold wrote:
> >
> > > Tobias: I doubt that you need the locking when synching. The need
> > > for locking with PIM is often a misunderstanding.
> >
> > You need a static set of data during synchronization, so you
> > have to make sure that no other applications change your address
> > book/calendar during the sync... Or how would you handle it?
>
> The alternative is to add a way to turn off automatic reloading and
> start another run of conflict resolution to the data after the sync to
> merge the result of the sync and the new data from the backend.
>
> Of course, during that second sync run, the backend data might again
> be changed, so we start another one, during which the data might
> again be changed, etc.

Or just assume that the state  you are synching is the state when you
push the sync button.  (More precisely, when the state of the record
when you read it into memory from disk.)

If changes happen (right) after the button push, then it doesn't seem
unreasonable to require the user to push the sync button again.