List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Agenda / Resource planning
From:       Mark Bucciarelli <mark () easymailings ! com>
Date:       2005-10-12 21:22:39

On Wed, Oct 12, 2005 at 11:53:00AM +0200, Dick Kniep wrote:
> OK Thanks, for the answer,
>
> Forgive me my ignorance. I am an experienced Python developer, but I know
> nothing (or next to nothing) of dcop, interprocess communication with other
> kde applications and the like. However, I DO know that it is possible, and
> there are many different ways to achieve my goal.
>
> PyKDE seems to be too much, because it uses Qt which is not necessary, as I am
> already using wxPython (gtk). pydcop is there, but I haven't got a clue how
> to use it, I have spent several hours Googling to get examples, but there
> seem to be no examples whatsoever.

There are some rudimentary examples of using dcop from bash in the karm
handbook.

> Op woensdag 12 oktober 2005 11:05, schreef Adriaan de Groot:
> > On Friday 07 October 2005 14:28, Dick Kniep wrote:
> > > We have developed an ERP application that should have an agenda. I do not
> > > want to develop my own agenda, so I would like to generate vcal (ical?)
> > > and store that in a directory for the logged on user. Then with
> > > kitchensink, the synchronisation could be done (could it?).
> >
> > Synchronization with what?
>
> Synchronisation with our own application. To be more specific: our application
> is a wxPython application using Postgresql. In the application actions are
> stored. Some of those actions require an appointment with someone else. If
> there is an appointment available for an action I want to show that
> appointment in a screen.
>
> So I need to be able to identify a specific appointment made by the user,
> store that key in my database, and be able to retrieve the appointment
> information so that I can display the information of the appointment.
>
> I found out that I can read/write to std.ics and by doing so can get the
> information that I need. There is a python module iCal with which I can read
> an iCal file, and interpret it. Probably I have to adapt iCal a bit to allow
> for an identification of a specific appointment, (UID in iCal).
>
> Are there any objections in using this approach? It looks a lot simpler than
> using kitchensink / multisync.

Be aware that the uid's are used to define parent child relations
between events.  Not sure if korganizer uses this--I know karm does.

There may be other issues I can't think of at the moment ...

> > > 1. Is it possible to use ms-exchange as a server, using also free/busy
> > > time and the other bells and whistles?
> >
> > Server for what?
>
> I have looked at the howto for connecting korganiser to ms-exchange. It is
> very important for the users to be able to use the free/busy information when
> they are making appointments. In the howto, there is no description of what
> EXACTLY are the functions that are supported. I know it uses webdav, but I
> just don't know if that supports the all important free/busy functionality.
> Again it is probably lack of knowledge from my side about what webdav offers.

See Ingo's post.

You probably could use cadaver + dcop + python to get what you want.

If korganizer's dcop interface doesn't give you the method calls you
need, look at konsolecalendar.  Both of those options are preferrable
over writing to the ics directly (mainly b/c I'm not sure of what
problems you might run into by creating your own UID's).

If you get this all glued together, please write it up!  :)