List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Agenda / Resource planning
From:       Dick Kniep <dick () kniep ! nl>
Date:       2005-10-12 9:53:00

OK Thanks, for the answer,

Forgive me my ignorance. I am an experienced Python developer, but I know
nothing (or next to nothing) of dcop, interprocess communication with other
kde applications and the like. However, I DO know that it is possible, and
there are many different ways to achieve my goal.

PyKDE seems to be too much, because it uses Qt which is not necessary, as I am
already using wxPython (gtk). pydcop is there, but I haven't got a clue how
to use it, I have spent several hours Googling to get examples, but there
seem to be no examples whatsoever.

Op woensdag 12 oktober 2005 11:05, schreef Adriaan de Groot:
> On Friday 07 October 2005 14:28, Dick Kniep wrote:
> > We have developed an ERP application that should have an agenda. I do not
> > want to develop my own agenda, so I would like to generate vcal (ical?)
> > and store that in a directory for the logged on user. Then with
> > kitchensink, the synchronisation could be done (could it?).
>
> Synchronization with what?

Synchronisation with our own application. To be more specific: our application
is a wxPython application using Postgresql. In the application actions are
stored. Some of those actions require an appointment with someone else. If
there is an appointment available for an action I want to show that
appointment in a screen.

So I need to be able to identify a specific appointment made by the user,
store that key in my database, and be able to retrieve the appointment
information so that I can display the information of the appointment.

I found out that I can read/write to std.ics and by doing so can get the
information that I need. There is a python module iCal with which I can read
an iCal file, and interpret it. Probably I have to adapt iCal a bit to allow
for an identification of a specific appointment, (UID in iCal).

Are there any objections in using this approach? It looks a lot simpler than
using kitchensink / multisync.

> > 1. Is it possible to use ms-exchange as a server, using also free/busy
> > time and the other bells and whistles?
>
> Server for what?

I have looked at the howto for connecting korganiser to ms-exchange. It is
very important for the users to be able to use the free/busy information when
they are making appointments. In the howto, there is no description of what
EXACTLY are the functions that are supported. I know it uses webdav, but I
just don't know if that supports the all important free/busy functionality.
Again it is probably lack of knowledge from my side about what webdav offers.

To use ms-exchange as a mailserver is obviously simple, using imap or pop.

> > 2. Can synchronisation to our application be done say every 5 minutes
> > automatically? (Note that this should be done per logged on user)
>
> cron?

OK, probably I'll do it differently, using Onidle in wxPython, and simply read
std.ics file, which means that it should be always be up-to-date.

> > 3. Can synchronisation to our application be done in both directions?
>
> I don't know - it's your application, after all.

Yes, after rethinking the requirements thru once more, I probably don't need
to do syncing in both ways, as the appointments can be entered in korganiser,
and the application only needs to be able to retrieve the existing
appointments, as I described above.

> > 4. Is it possible to add resources to the appointment, like a room, a
> > beamer and other things?
>
> Events can have X-* fields containing extra information, or you could
> arrange for a discipline of using the notes field. An Event _does_ already
> have a standard location field, so a single room isn't a problem.

Once again I am not clear. What I want to achieve is that the user gets a
warning when a room is already occupied, a beamer is in use etc. And that I
have free / busy information about these resources.

> Really, your questions are missing an awful lot of background information
> for there to be a concrete answer.

OK I hope I have made things a bit clearer now.