List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Meeting minutes of the KDE Bof at aKademy 2005
From:       Frank Osterfeld <frank.osterfeld () gmx ! de>
Date:       2005-09-03 22:19:35

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Friday 02 September 2005 13:41, Ingo Klöcker wrote:

> > I get the feeling the idea was to unify the programmatic framework,
> > as opposed to unifying the programs themselves. E.g., using (as you
> > mentioned earlier) a common message class, but not necessarily using
> > one program for reading feeds, newsgroups, and mail.
>
> I guess there are both kinds of users. Just as there are users who
> prefer to use the separate applications KMail, KOrganizer, etc. over
> Kontact, there are users who prefer to have feeds, newsgroups and mail
> in one GUI (cf. Thunderbird).

I agree that a common framework would be nice. The current situation with
syndication support is chaotic, we have knewsticker in kdenetwork, akregator
and the kontact summary plugin in kdepim... each using a different backend
with no integration at all. I hope we can finally unify this for KDE4.

Abstractions for data as mail/news/feeds are thinkable and would also make
sense in the context of Tenor. I am not sure if a common storage format is
necessary though.

About the GUI integration, personally I am not a fan of putting all this into
one application. My KMail folder tree is already cluttered enough using
multiple accounts, I don't need my feed list in there, too.
Additionally, all applications have slightly different actions, options etc.
so I wonder if it makes sense to integrate it into one GUI. Reminds me of
konqueror, and apparently that will be splitted now into browser and file
manager. Admittedly, the concepts of news/mail/RSS have more in common than
file management and web browsing.

I would like to have some sort of content manager, where I can browse every
kind of information by date, categories etc., regardless whether it is a
mail, feed item, web page, some text note, whatever. That would not obsolete
the actual applications though.

However, if you really want to integrate mail, news and feeds in one GUI, we
must make sure not to add yet another form of RSS support, but integrate it
using a common backend for all components using RSS. We could use a central
feed list and archive. Newsticker, akregator and KMail would just provide
different views on the same information.

Regards,

Frank