List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Resource Selection Dialogs Inconsistent
From:       Tobias Koenig <tokoe () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-07-26 22:43:14

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tue, Jul 26, 2005 at 09:42:09PM +0200, Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:
> On Tuesday 26 July 2005 21:07, Tobias Koenig wrote:
Hi,

> > In KAddressBook it's currently needed to know the resource before the
> > editor is opened, so I see no way to change it.
>
> I don't understand this.
Use the source Luke! ;)

I lock the resource before the contact editor is opened (yes I know,
poor man's way to prevent conflicts).

> The current way even leads to crashes:
> 1) Add two writable resources to kaddressbook
> 2) Start a new contact editor
> 3) Choose one of the resources
> 4) While the editor dlg is open, remove the resource you selected in 3)
> 5) Press OK in the editor dlg => BOOM
I know...

> Also, the resource selection is inconsistent here. You are asked for the
> resource before the editor comes up, but you are asked for the imap
> subresource only after you press OK (when the contact is actually added to
> the selected resource, that's also where the crash happens)....
Well, that's a IMAP specific hack, that's nothing
KAddressbook/KOrganizer can influence. In KOrganizer it doesn't attract
attention because the resource selection dialog comes after closing the
editor.
The real solution would the selection of subresources _inside_ the
resource selection dialog anyway, but that's something for 4.0, where
subresources will (hopefully) be supported natively by the resource
framework.

> But imagine, you  create a new event, start typing in the summary, then
> cancel. Why should you ever be asked where to save the event, when you never
> actually save?
Let's ask the usability people, I've no idea what's the right way [tm]
in this case and I'm not willing to start an discussion.

> > When I used KOrganizer the first time with 2 writeable resources I
> > was quite confused why I was not asked where the event shall be written
> > to.
>
> Because you were used to the way kaddressbook works.... I'm confused by the
> way kaddressbook currently behaves ;-)
So we have to find a 3rd way... what's about a dialog which pops up 5
seconds after you have opened the contact/event editor? ;)

Ciao,
Tobias
--
Separate politics from religion and economy!
The Councile of the European Union is an undemocratic and illegal institution!