List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Bug with deleting events in korganizer/kontact
From:       Timo Springmann <t.springmann () linet-services ! de>
Date:       2005-06-29 16:57:50

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hi list,

On Mittwoch 29 Juni 2005 17:57, Mark Bucciarelli wrote:
> Could you document your testing steps and e-mail them to the list?

Actually there are no "testing steps". At the moment we're running a webbased
groupware (OpenGroupware.org), mostly for appointments. Since a few month
everyone in our company is using kmail/kontact as mail application. Before
that everyone used his favorite application. We're not satisfied with OGo -
actually we wanted something different than a webbased groupware.

I'm a KDE user since the first Betas so I'm used to kmail and korganizer. So
we decided to give kontact a try. I tried to use kontact parallel to my other
calendar in daily use with storing appointments, tasks and kontacts on the
imap server (standart cyrus - nothing special as far as I can tell). We
thought about using kolab as backend but our infrastructure setup (ldap,
cyrus, postfix etc.) is too customized to convert easily.

While I used kontact during the last months I encounterd different problems.
Some which I could resolve with help from this list (thanks so far), some
which I could resolve with applying patches and rebuild the packages. But
there are still some glitches which make me think kdepim isn't ready for
corporate use.

Everytime I install a test setup (server, 2 clients) and run some tests (send
mails and invitations, manage events, task etc) it _seems_ to work. But as
soon as we try to use it in the real world on a daily basis (my co-worker and
me spend nearly the whole day in configuring und testing kontact) it behave
really unreliable. As we are supposed to do some "real work" we can't afford
more hours in testing kontact/korganizer.

"Unreliable" means, that some things stop working without any reasons (at
least that's what we see) and then, some minutes later it worked again. Then
there're some things that work on one maschine, but didn't do on another
(same distribution, same packaged, same server, different user).

As much as I like KDE/Kontact/KMail it's not usable in _corporate_ use (at
least not in our company). As long as appointments disappear irregular we can
stay with our webbased solution and miss appointments because we forgot to
look at that webpage.

As you see, there're no testcases, just real world usage...

Regards,
Timo

--
LINET Services GbR
Linux im Intra- und InterNet

Gotenweg 15                    Tel.:   0531-280 191 71
38106 Braunschweig              Fax:    0531-280 191 72

http://www.linet-services.de
mailto:t.springmann@linet-services.de