List:       kde-pim
Subject:    [Kde-pim] recurrence-id Re: Toltec connector and exceptions to
From:       Helge Hess <helge.hess () opengroupware ! org>
Date:       2005-05-31 20:12:03

(removing Kolab from the CC, too much OGo content ;-)

On 31. Mai 2005, at 02:26 Uhr, Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:
> Sure, but unless all places from a) are eliminated, things  will
> just be
> inconsistent (e.g. events appearing with summary "XY" in one place,
> while in
> another spot, it has the summary "AB" of the original event).

Yes. As mentioned, step-by-step, probably better than no support at all.

> Ahm, we're not talking about rdates here. RDATE is rather simple (and
> KOrganizer will support this in KDE 3.5; Actually KOrganizer from
> KDE 3.5
> will  support the whole range of RRULE, EXRULE, RDATE, EXDATE
> defined in rfc
> 2445). RDATE is just an additional recurrence at a time that cannot be
> expressed by a rule. it's basically a "this event occurs every
> friday, oh and
> also on March 1 at 15:00". There's no separate event involved, while
> RECURRENCE-ID has an additional event where every property (summary,
> description, location, attendees, duration, attachments,etc.) is
> independent
> from the original event.

Yup. The latter is relevant since you usually want to have per-event
comments, summaries, participant states etc. I consider the "regular"
recurrences pretty much useless/inconvenient except for yearly events
like birthdays.

Even more so for VTODO of course (IMHO useless without that feature).

BTW: I just tried with iCal when Alan mentioned it. The Tiger iCal
has pretty nice recurrence support in the UI and indeed supports
recurrence-ids.

>> RID is somewhat important for us because its in my understanding the
>> iCalendar approach to represent our way of dealing with recurrences.
> Okay. So you imagine an event that start on June 1, 2005 and 14:00
> recurs
> every Wednesday for 4 times. In OGo you store this as four events,
> that occur
> on
> -) June 1, 2005, 14:00
> -) June 8, 2005, 14:00
> -) June 15, 2005, 14:00
> -) June 22, 2005, 14:00

Yes.

> What happens to the event on the server if you change the start
> date of the
> June 15 event to June 13, 10:00, and you also change the summary?
> Will the
> recurrence still be detected as such?

Yes. The events are still connected in the database (basically there
is one masterevent and all others have their "recurrence foreign key"
set to that [and yes, it also properly handles deletion ;->]).

When editing the event in the webui, you can choose between "save"
and "save all" (same for delete) to specify what exactly you want.

> The iCalendar way would be that the original event has an RRULE:
>
> UID:1234567890
> DTSTART;TZID=CEST:20050601T140000
> RRULE:FREQ=WEEKLY;COUNT=4
>
> and when you change the start date of the June 15 event, the
> original event
> would get an EXDATE:
>
> EXDATE;TZID=CEST:20050615T140000
>
> And a newly created event would have the new summary and:
>
> UID:1234567890
> RECURRENCE-ID:20050613T100000
> DTSTART;TZID=CEST:20050601T140000

In my understanding the EXDATE is not required. The EXDATE is the
recurrence-id.

This is what iCal does: