List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] help with sendmail and kmail, pls.
From:       Martijn Klingens <klingens () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-05-30 10:59:54

On Monday 30 May 2005 09:25, Stephen Ensor wrote:
> As it stands after creating a system user, the chap can start up kmail
> and it sends an email perfectly through sendmail, but mails sent to the
> user do not go into the kmail maildir inbox, is there a way to get
> sendmail to automatically drop the emails into the users maildir?

I don't think there is one, nor do I think you want to solve it like this.

Instead, use the features of KDE's Kiosk framework to give the user a
preconfigured config file that checks a local mailbox.

In KMail/Kontact, add a Receiving mailbox of the type Local Mailbox, specify
the required settings for your test user, including path names and automatic
checking every X minutes.

When you've done this, and it works, move the relevant items from
~/.kde/share/config/kmailrc to a shared kmailrc (if you have no kiosk
profiles in use, use $KDEDIR/share/config itself). While moving the entries,
replace all occurrences of user-specific values, like your test user's
username with environment variables or scripts. E.g. if you have a key

    Mailbox=/var/mail/testuser

then change it into

     Mailbox[$e]=/var/mail/${USER}

(I made up the name 'Mailbox' for the key, you'd have to check the real name.)

See the README.kiosk file for the possibilities, or search the archives of the
kde-kiosk mailing list.

Hope this helps,

--
Martijn