List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] IMAP namespaces
From:       Till Adam <till () adam-lilienthal ! de>
Date:       2005-05-13 7:17:11

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Friday 13 May 2005 05:32, Patrick Audley (lists account) wrote:
> On Thursday 12 May 2005 17:05, Adriaan de Groot wrote:
> > Note to self: when messing with IMAP config, remember that KMail will
> > cheerfully delete everything it finds on the IMAP server if it is
> > sufficiently confused. Fortunately, that ~ wasn't one of the important
> > ones.
>
> Which actually brings up an interesting point.  Would it be worth while to
> add a threshold and a warning for mass deletes?  Something like "We are
> about to delete over 100 messages, is this what you want?".  I've been
> bitten about five or six times with the
> DIMAP-deletes-my-inbox-on-network-loss bug and a warning would have
> prevented all of them.  It's always a really odd corner but it would be a
> nice one to err on the side of not delete mail.  Just a thought.

That's actually not that easy. It's not that these mail eaters (at least in
the case of the dimap one) do a "delete all of these 1000 mails now"
operations at some point which is  clearly decernable. If it was, I'd fix it
in about 90 seconds. It's very possible that it does not issue one mass imap
delete command, but rather a whole slew of them, which would be hard to
distinguish from a series of deletes as part of a regular sync.

I'm still hoping that maybe some day someone who can more or less easily
reproduce this is willing to set up a test account and trigger the effect
with full debugging in kmail and kio_imap on and send me the logs. Apparently
the networks at my disposable are insufficiently flaky, as I've not been able
to reproduce this either on any of my servers or George's.

So please, please, if you can help with this, mail me.

Till