List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] [RFC] Removing outdated Kontact components
From:       Allen Winter <winter () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-03-23 15:59:46

On Wednesday 23 March 2005 08:02 am, Tobias Koenig wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we have two parts in kontacts that are a bit limited and could
> be easily replaced:
>   1) addressbook summary
>   2) newsticker summary
>
> The replacement of the first one is already available with the special
> dates summary plugin which is IMHO with sane default settings very good.

I would agree, of course.

There is a related issue with special dates that should be discussed:  depending on the
category (birthday, special occasion) and the settings, an event can be shown in both
the appointments and special dates summary.  I find this annoying.   So do we need a
"don't show events with the following categories in the appointment summary" option?
Other suggestions?

> The second could be replaced by a akregator summary widget, that would
> allow a better integration with the akregator plugin.
> Is anything like this already planned?

I never used the newsticker plugin, so I don't know what extra/different functionality
it provides.  But it "screenscrapes" rather than using feeds, IIRC.   I would assume
by now that most useful new sites have rss/rdf feeds.  I'm not sure that we need
to remove it, though.

Regards,
Allen
--
Let's Keep the Political Talk Out of KDE PLEASE