List:       kde-pim
Subject:    RE: [Kde-pim] KOrganizer alarm notifications
From:       "Chuck Meade" <chuckmeade () mindspring ! com>
Date:       2005-03-05 2:52:02

Christoph wrote:

> > korgac is running, and visible in the systray,  running SuSE 9.2 pro.
> and the alarms are enabled ? ( right click on the systray)

Yes the alarms are enabled.  I just verified that again.
I also have run strace -p on the korgac process pid.  I see a burst of
activity every 60 seconds, which makes sense -- it is probably checking
if it has anything to do once per minute.  However, in the minute that
my KOrganizer event notification is due, I see the exact same burst of
activity.  I am new to KOrganizer and korgac, but I would expect that if
it is going to pop up an event alarm notification, the strace would show
some substantial differences as it attempts to do so.

...OK now I just saw something strange, and I think it points to the
problem.  I looked at the contents of my $HOME/.kde/share/apps/korganizer/std.ics
file, and it appears that the event was stored with a timestamp 5 hours
different from what I actually entered.  I am in the Eastern time zone, which
is 5 hrs from UTC.  I think this is a timezone issue.  I checked and I
do have the timezone correct in the KOrganizer configuration settings.
Do you know what KOrganizer and korgac use to determine the system timezone?

I added an event for 5 hours in the past and it did pop up as expected.
So the mechanism works, and the KOrganizer timezone is set correctly,
but I think that whatever it is using to gather system timezone info is
reporting back UTC instead of Eastern time.

Thanks in advance for any insight or suggestions you can provide.

Regards,
Chuck