List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] RFC: Moving akregator to KDE-PIM 3.4
From:       Sashmit Bhaduri <sashmit () gmail ! com>
Date:       2004-12-03 17:04:05

On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 00:25:54 +0100, Ingo Klöcker <kloecker@kde.org> wrote:
> akregator is no Personal Information Management application.

That is certainly a valid point, but:

1. Kontact already has limited RSS feed capability through it's
summary widget + the plugin

2. feed browsers are moving from the fringe of the PIM world to a
piece of the center of it. Mozilla Thunderbird now natively supports
feeds. Due to Microsoft's recent love-affair with RSS (and more
generally, with blogging), many people expect that Outlook and
Exchange will gain feed capabilities by the release of Longhorn.
Indeed, one of the most commercial addons for Outlook happens to be
NewsGator, a feed browser.

3. The growth of internet feeds has been helped tremendously by the
explosion of blogging. Blogging is, more or less, an activity that is
more closely linked to PIM than your ho-hum news site on the web.
akregator and other feed browsers, mostly being mail-like apps, are
better atuned to blogging than something like knewsticker is, which
are particularily useful for news, weather, and sports feeds.

Other notes, perhaps less valid:

1. We, the akregator developers, have always had a long term goal of
making akregator more kontact-y (and especially kmail-icious) and be
like it's kdepim-bretheren, rather than something like konqueror.

If you used akregator when it's first releases came out 4-7 months ago
(akregator 1.0-b1-b5 or so), it was more or less a multi-document,
multi-window application that resembled kmail on the surface, but
behaved more like konqueror or even some koffice applications.

Since then, we've gone towards being more aggressivley to being a
kmail-like application. Now days, a lot of our users are using
akregator with kontact, and I'd imagine there would be a lot more
users of akregator+kontact than if each of the applications in
kdenetwork, or even konqueror was embedded in kontact. I think it
makes a more natural fit.

2. It has at times, been a pain in the ass being the only (active)
third party kontact plugin (although I  will make not that some
kontact developers like danimo have been incredibily helpful there). A
move to kdepim would probably help that.