List:       kde-pim
Subject:    [Kde-pim] RFC: pimd
From:       Jakob Schroeter <js () camaya ! net>
Date:       2004-12-01 2:27:28

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hi,

about two weeks or so ago a discussion came up where some central `pim server'
was mentioned, keeping calendar (and probably address book as well) data in
memory only once instead of having it being loaded by every application.

I would really like to work on that and I'm even in the lucky position to have
some influence on the decision whether I would have some time to do so
(without any negative side effects ;).
So, first of all, is this something you would like to see in KDE? (v4 would be
my goal here)

Generally, I see this as a kded module handing out the pim data via dcop/dbus.

Advantages:
- apps could ask for subsets of data (`gimme all events for 20/11/04')

- apps could ask for certain categories only (birthdays, events with alarms
set, ...)

korganizer only needs the events for the view the user used last)

- less memory consumption (loaded only once per kde session/user instead of
once per application)

- apps would be able to drop events/addresses they no longer need to keep in
memory

- apps could be asked to update their data in case another app commited a
change

- updated data even could be pushed to apps asking for this service

- every app always has an up-to-date set of data (no sync of outdated events
to the handheld, ...)

- non-kde apps could access kde pim data without build-time dependency

Maybe there are even more I don't see atm.

Disadvantages:
- dcop/dbus would add some latency

- since there would be no gui access, apps would be responsible for conflict
resolution. however, shared widgets/functions could unify this.

- porting all the apps currently using libkcal & co. would need some effort,
but maybe a wrapper library could provide the current interface and wrap it
to dcop calls?

- kded modules are hard to debug I hear

- I would need a lot of help from you guys

- ??? certainly much more

This is only a first list of thoughts. There is probably much more to
consider. As a start:
- How does this fit into KDE's resources system? (Or the other way round)

What do you think?

cheers,
Jakob