List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Non-unique UIDs
From:       Jan de Visser <jdevisser () digitalfairway ! com>
Date:       2004-09-26 14:01:26

On September 26, 2004 09:07 am, Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:
> I can think of similar situations where the generation date reveals that
> you had some insider-information (e.g. if your company is competing for a
> contract), which you get you into real trouble. Again, this won't stand in
> court, but it's hardly ever the criminal punishment that hurts you and your
> company most...

Yeah, but how would your competition get access to the ical with the offending
GUID in it? Three possibilities:
- They stole it. Two crooks cancelling each other out.
- They subpoenad for it, it which case they probably have other reasons to
suspect you bent the rules.
- Some idiot salesperson forwards a message once too many. Serves him right.

Again, I'm not saying you shouldn't look for a better algorithm, but the fact
that all real-life implementations (not just Windows) use this scheme tells
me that there are no technically viable other schemes.

JdV!!