List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Non-unique UIDs
From:       Reinhold Kainhofer <reinhold () kainhofer ! com>
Date:       2004-09-25 23:03:17

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Saturday 25 September 2004 23:45, Szombathelyi György wrote:
> Here's a document which describes it:
> http://ftp.ics.uci.edu/pub/ietf/webdav/uuid-guid/draft-leach-uuids-guids-01
>.txt

Yeah, thanks. The rfc is also quite verbose on how one can create globally
unique IDs. The issues I have with these methods is that they include the
exact time information, and some information on the machine where the
incidence was created. Both can lead to significant trouble.

The second one can be used to determine from which computer you created the
event. If you send invitations for several event, and use different
computers, this can be used quite well to locate you and track down your work
habbits. Of course, there will always be the IP and time available in the
invitation mail when you sent the invitation, but that mail doesn't tell
where you did the actuall planning of the meeting and your strategy (e.g.
monday afternoon on your home computer. Oops, you should have been at work at
that time...).

The first one (exact time information) is even more sensitive, because it
tells when exactly you started planning something. In particular, it might
tell the whole world that you worked on a strategy for some issue before you
were actually supposed to (e.g. if you lay out a stratety how to boot out
your competitors, etc.). In a "competitive" environment, this can backfire
terribly to haunt you...

Please note that I'm not paranoid (I hope this mail doesn't sound like I am),
but I really want to ensure that korganizer doesn't introduce any privacy
issues.

Reinhold