List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Non-unique UIDs
From:       Reinhold Kainhofer <reinhold () kainhofer ! com>
Date:       2004-09-24 9:09:36

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

> Currently, KOrganizer has a very basic assumption that an event must have
> a unique UID.

Yes, UIDs have to be *globally* unique, i.e. across all computers and users.

> Now consider this scenario:
>
> 1) Secretary and Boss both agree on a meeting invitation and get the event
> stored in the calendar folders.
>
> 2) Boss gives access to his calendar folder to the secretary.
>
> 3) Secretary now has two folders that contain an event with identical
> UIDs.

But both events describe the same meeting.

> We might be able to do 2), by changing the way we store an event. So when
> the user accepts an invitation, we make a new event with a new UID and
> keep the scheduling UID for reference. But I think this is more easily
> described than done.

Yes, that will be quite hard to ipmlement. Imagine that the secretary wants to
send out an invitation for her bosses event. The uid needs to be adjusted
again before sending. And if she accepts, well, again, etc.

Reinhold