List:       kde-pim
Subject:    [Kde-pim] kdenonbeta/uirtk [POSSIBLY UNSAFE]
From:       Reinhold Kainhofer <reinhold () kainhofer ! com>
Date:       2004-09-04 17:36:00

CVS commit by kainhofe:

Complete rewrite of Ian's UI Recoverty ToolKit (uirtk). It's now a
library called kuiextractor.la. The purpose is to extract whole dialogs
or container widgets to .ui files, so we can send them to usability
people to play around, even when the dialog is actually created by
complicated C++ code (like the configXT settings).

To use it, just use -lkuiextractor in your LDADD, and install the event
filter by calling installUIExtractorEventFilter() somewhere in your
application. Once this is done, you can extract any portion / widget /
dialog of you application to a .ui file by simple pressing Ctrl+Shift+Alt
and double-clicking with the right-mousebutton on the widget.

Compared to the old version of uirtk it can do the following new things:
-) Correctly handle widgets contained in grid layouts
-) Handle sub-layouts
-) Also extract list view items, list view column headers, combo box items
-) Also extracts buddy settings of QLabel
-) Find appropriate class names for widgets unknown to QWidgetFactory
-) Extract QSpacerItems
-) Support for QTabWidgets and QWidgetStacks
-) and a lot more.

For some description, see the README file.
Some examples of KOrganizer dialogs (the first two are really complicated
with Tab widgets, widget stacks, and custom widgets created by c++ code):
http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/~reinhold/KOrganizer_ConfigDialog.ui
http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/~reinhold/KOrganizer_EventEditor.ui
http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/~reinhold/KOrganizer_FilterEditWidget.ui
http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/~reinhold/KOrganizer_FindDialog.ui

What doesn't work, because I couldn't find the Qt functionality for it:
-) Extracting the row/colspan of multi-cell widgets in QGridLayouts
-) Extracting the sizeType of QSpacerItems
-) sublayouts in Grid-Layouts (i.e. find the position of a QLayout
   inside a QGridLayout)
-) Extracting all connections of a widget.

Maybe someone has an idea how to solve these issues?

Another thing I'd like to have is the automatic installation of the event
filter. In particular, I'd like to have the event filter automatically
installed, when the library is linked to an application, without any code
change. This would make it possible to load this library with any
application without even recompiling. Any ideas if that's possible?

Eventually, I'd like this to go to kdesdk/kuiextractor...

Cheers,
Reinhold

CCMAIL: geiseri@kde.org, aseigo@kde.org, kde-pim@kde.org

  A            README   1.1
  A            TODO   1.1
  A            uiextractor_eventfilter.h   1.1 [POSSIBLY UNSAFE: qDebug] [no copyright]
  A            example/.cvsignore   1.1
  A            example/Makefile.am   1.1
  A            example/main.cpp   1.1 [GPL (v2+)]
  A            example/mywidget.cpp   1.1 [GPL (v2+)]
  A            example/mywidget.h   1.1 [GPL (v2+)]
  A            example/uirtk.cpp   1.1 [GPL (v2+)]
  A            example/uirtk.h   1.1 [GPL (v2+)]
  A            example/uirtkui.rc   1.1
  M +6 -29     Makefile.am   1.3
  M +593 -204  uiextractor.cpp   1.2
  M +9 -37     uiextractor.h   1.2