List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] KitchenSync API Todo
From:       Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-09-03 19:10:46

On Monday 30 August 2004 20:41, Holger Freyther wrote:

> -Add an ActionPart Priority for the 'Filter' of Syncee, introdcue a
> priority/dependency for the parts. For example the Filter part would
> be needed to be called before and after each part has been called. We
> also could only add a special case for it.

The ActionParts already have an order, isn't this sufficient? The filter
could just be another ActionPart.

> -A Profile needs to be able to have a group of fixed Konnectors
> assigned. Konnectors in this group musn't be changed or we invent
> something for the following case:
> I sync with the calendar file calendar1.ics and Opie. Now would I
> switch the calendar file to a new empty file for the Calendar Group.
> On next sync the following will happen.
> All Events/Todos from calendar1.ics will be marked as deleted
> All new Events/Todos from calendar1.ics will be marked as added
>
> This can be solved by either not allowing the Konnector to be
> modified, or if one Konnector inside a profile is changed we need to
> delete the MetaDirectory and to start over cleanly.

I would go with associating the syncing history to the specific
Konnector settings, so that we change without history when the file
name or something similar is changed.

> Or Be smart and try to find out what happened and merge the changes.
>
> -Put Konnectors into a Profile. Clone Profiles for ease of use.

Agreed.

> -Fail proof 'writeSyncee'. If uploading of any Syncee fails in a
> 'Profile' everything should be rolled back and meta data should not
> be written so on the next sync the error might be fixed and it can be
> successfully synced?

Agreed. That's an important part of a syncing framework.

> -File uploading with FileFilter. You drop a Koffice Document on your
> desktop/or URL to a website and the documents gets converted by a
> filter and uploaded via KSync::UknownSyncee

How is this supposed to work. What kind of class is FileFilter?

> -Fix connection of Signals/Slots, Use KDEPIM Progress classes

Yes.

> many more rough edges need to be fixed

We need a significantly simpler GUI and much better status and error
information. At the moment it's hard to see what went wronmg or what is
happening at all. I would suggest to give each profile a "header part"
which is always there as first part of the profile which is used for
Konnector selection and status reporting.