List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] ical handling library
From:       Sebastian Ley <ley () debian ! org>
Date:       2004-08-29 13:00:26

* \"shaheed r. haque\" wrote:

> I did indeed try to resync libical with upstream, and I initially seemed to
> engage the upstream folks. Sadly, after spending a substantial amount of
> time and energy and almost getting to a resync point, I stopped getting any
> presumably, have them go from RC4 for a new release).
>
> I have all the work bitrotting on my hard drive. I am not sure what to do
> with it.
>
> Suggestions, ideas welcome (though I have much less time to do this now
> :-().

Well, I suppose the best(TM) solution would be to revive libical under new
maintainership and encourage its users who currently maintain a fork (KDE,
Gnome, OpenGorupware.org, etc.) to merge their fixes. It really makes no
sense to duplicate this work in every project and the idea of having a
standalone ical handling library is actually a good one.

Which leaves the question whether such a project would be adopted by the the
different projects and who will host the revived libical.

This procedure will require some kickoff work for instating the project and
merge in the various bugfixes and enhancements as well as for substituting a
local fork with the new libical including regression testing. But in the long
term such a collaboration would provide fruitful.

What do you think of this?

Sebastian

P.S.: Please keep me in CC

--
PGP-Key: http://www.mmweg.rwth-aachen.de/~sebastian.ley/public.key
Fingerprint: A46A 753F AEDC 2C01 BE6E  F6DB 97E0 3309 9FD6 E3E6