List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Kolab bugfix: Allow completion of names even if last
From:       Ingo =?iso-8859-1?q?Kl=F6cker?= <kloecker () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-08-11 22:15:47

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday 11 August 2004 23:31, Karl-Heinz Zimmer wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> the following patch adds some functionallity we need to fix a
> kolab bug (issue 31).
>
> So far AddressLineEdit could not show the respective completion
> proposal if the user typed the addressee's last name but in the
> database(s) only the normal first name/last name combination was
> stored.
>
> So no completion is offered if you type "Brown" into the To line in
> KMail's composer if complete name expected by KMail is "John Brown".
>
> The patch tries to detect the last name and adds a respective entry
> to the completion list.

This isn't a good solution because it duplicates all entries in the
completion list. Moreover, if I enter "jb" then "John Brown
<jbrown@something>" won't be shown as possible completion.

Instead of adding duplicates to the completion list the code which looks
for valid completions should be changed to not only find addresses that
start with the already entered characters, but to find addresses which
contain a word which starts with the characters. Then we would complete
by first name, by last name, by email address and by the domain part of
email addresses.

Regards,
Ingo