List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Licsensing in kdepim
From:       Ingo =?iso-8859-1?q?Kl=F6cker?= <kloecker () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-07-31 9:53:16

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Saturday 31 July 2004 02:48, Daniel Molkentin wrote:
> On Saturday 31 July 2004 01:56, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> >On Friday 30 July 2004 12:25, Daniel Molkentin wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> the following files are GPL, but should be LGPL, since they reside
> >> in libkdepim. Please change the license of the file.
> >
> >I'm curious. Why should they be LGPL? What's the advantage of using
> > this license?
>
> Because it's a lib?

LGPL means Lesser GPL, but not Library GPL (although it used to mean the
latter when it was first created). gpgme is not LGPL although it's a
library. You've read http://www.gnu.org/licenses/why-not-lgpl.html?

> Seriously: Some time ago we agreed on keeping
> libkdepim LGPL. Some time ago somebody else (I belive it was adriaan)
> did the same. The problem is: as soon as one class is not LGPL, the
> whole lib isn't.
>
> The idea has two scenario:
>
> 1. (more likely): the class is found to be useful and moves to
> kdelibs => needs to be lgpl, so it's better it gets the lgpl status
> before a thousand people start to hack on it under other terms.

Well, for libkdepim the scenario is:
A class of a KDE PIM application is found to be useful for other KDE PIM
apps and moved to libkdepim. So should we relicense all applications
under the LGPL just because one of the classes might be moved to
libkdepim years after it was written?

> 2 (less likely): libkdepim gets stable and e.g. commerical developers
> want to use it for KDE PIM addon products. Libs need to be LGPL, too.

libkdepim is a private library and it will never be stable because we
constantly add new classes to it in order to share more and more code
in KDE PIM (which is a very good thing).

Regards,
Ingo