List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] (Smidgeons of) Kontact Usability
From:       Adriaan de Groot <adridg () cs ! kun ! nl>
Date:       2004-07-23 9:30:06

3) If you choose "Settngs->Selct Components", the dialog comes up with none of
the components selected, and a weird layout - there's the tree ist to the
left, and to the right where it is going to display the plugin icon and
description, the area is _blank_ (until you select a component). It would be
better to have _something_ there, since it looks like a layout error
otherwise. I think this is a problem with the KSettings::ComponentsDialog
(who knew this existed?) - it could put up a default "Plugin Config" icon
plus a short description.

The same applies to the Settings->Configure Kontact dialog - you get a big
grey area which could use a sentence or two on the purpose of the dialog.

(Yes, this time I'm working on a patch)

On Friday 23 July 2004 01:24, Daniel Molkentin wrote:
> On Friday 23 July 2004 01:12, Adriaan de Groot wrote:
> >1) In the main kontact configuration dialog, the TreeList showing all the
> >different config items has RootIsDecorated=true, so it shows the little
>
> Yeah, yeah. Well known. I guess we don't get around writing our own
> replacement class :(

Where is the code for this? Is it part of the KCM shell? Is KCModule being an
ass here?

> >2) The KNT configuration dialog uses the old "two listviews, with 'add'
> > and 'remove' buttons" layout for selecting a bunch of items. I'm honestly
> > not sure this is such a useful paradigm. KPilot had this for a long time,
>
> In this case I don't think it's useful since you have lots and lots of
> grouped entries. Have fun finding those you selected. I agree it's nicer
> for a plain listview with few icons, but in this case I like the current
> soltion better.

Agreed - there's a difference for lots of items and only a few. However, then
we should look around and make sure that this implementation of two-listboxes
is the same as others in KDE.

--
   "On top of that [watching KDE CVS] is interesting in a perverse
    way, like watching sausage get made. By very smart people." - dkite