List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Summary icon
From:       Don Sanders <sanders () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-07-15 8:22:22

On Wednesday 14 July 2004 09:53, David Vignoni wrote:
> Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> >A star in front of a document or a similar picture is usually used
> > to mean "create new ...", so this is misleading. I don't think
> > the old star is so bad.
>
> I really found the star alone ugly, I find ugly the icon it self
> and I think is really bad idea using it, since this same crystal
> icon is used for kpanel "services" and for "bookmarks" in the kde
> icon theme.
>
> My idea of the star was to make it look like a paperweight (I've
> used the star beacause I read about using a star).
> I know it is not a  summary metaphor but for me a paperweight on
> papers first remembers me an office application, second remember
> something where I keep organized everything, and this is what
> effectly the Summary does. I don't know if I've suffiently
> expressed the idea.
>
> I think the paperweight is a good idea but maybe I can keep out the
> star and put something else to act as "paperweight".
> What do you think?

Personally I find David's arguments in this mail and the one over here
http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-pim&m=108976242418495&w=2 quite
compelling.

I like these icons, I think they are attractive, consistent,
appropriate and convey as much meaning as can be reasonable expected.

I have two concerns. One is that new components may be added to
Kontact in the future and that being too strict and demanding about
the current icons may act as a turn off for someone like David to
contribute additional art.

The second is that GUI elements in general and especially icons are
fashionable. With time people will feel like a change such as new or
updated icons. I think this factor makes it sensible to support some
flexibility in designing and updating artwork.

To answer Ingo's questions about what summary icons look like in other
apps, there's some Evo screenshots here:
http://www.novell.com/products/evolution/screenshots.html
I don't find the summary icon especially outstanding.

I couldn't find any screenshots of Outlook showing a summary view.

Don.