List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] kdepim meeting at akademy
From:       Reinhold Kainhofer <reinhold () kainhofer ! com>
Date:       2004-07-14 21:16:42

Am Mittwoch, 14. Juli 2004 23:06 schrieb Maciek Borowka:
> On Wednesday 14 July 2004 13:53, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> > On Wednesday 14 July 2004 10:29, Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:
> > > Do you think it might be possible to give a kitchensync tutorial for
> > > developers this time? I.e. how it works in general (syncees, sync
> > > algorithm, capabilities, etc.), how to write connectors for new devices
> > > (like palmos handhelds), how to write conduits for data other than
> > > abook and ics files...
> >
> > Sure. I will add it to the list.
>
> Great! I am really looking forward to reading such a tutorial!

Me too. I'm really looking forward to such a tutorial by one of the
kitchensync developers. I finally want to know how kpilot could possibly fit
in. I'm particularly interested, since I'm currently factoring out the sync
algorithms of all the record-based kpilot conduits (address, calendar, vcal)
to one base class RecordConduit and require from the derived classes just
some copying methods... I guess this is also what kitchensync is all about.

Plus, we have lots of other conduits: of the 13 conduits of kpilot, only three
or four - calendar, todo, addressbook and possibly memo - are covered by the
record-based concept of kitchensync. All other conduits perform some special
action (run a perl/python script, sync the time, install files, sync some web
pages from AvantGo etc.) or sync whole databases from the handheld with the
PC (like the PalmDOC conduit, which has one database on the handheld per text
file on the pc)...

Reinhold