List:       kde-pim
Subject:    [Kde-pim] Re: Sync Problem
From:       Adriaan de Groot <adridg () cs ! kun ! nl>
Date:       2004-07-09 11:52:47

Hej Bo,

On Fri, 9 Jul 2004, Bo Thorsen wrote:
> On Friday 09 July 2004 11:17, Adriaan de Groot wrote:
> > On Fri, 9 Jul 2004, George Mundstock wrote:
> > >        I am running SUSE 9.1 on a Dell Dimension 4100.  My pda is a Palm
> > > Tungsten E, syncing through a USB port.  I started Kpilot and it synced
> > > perfectly the first time.  Now, it won't sync.  I did install a usb
> >
> > Have you looked at the troubleshooting FAQ on kpilot.org? Basically, the
> > thing to figure out is whether the USB connection is still working at all
> > (/var/log/messages should tell you) and which device name is being
> > assigned to your Pilot (probably /dev/ttyUSB1).
>
> I've been meaning to ask about this - why is it that kpilot doesn't just
> monitor the USB connections and see when a palm pilot device is attached to
> it? The Linux (and probably other OSes) way with the user choosing the USB
> port is IMHO completely broken. It gets even worse when you have several
> machines, and use different USB devices for them.

Yes, it's stupid. And the solution has existed for years already: USB
hotplug support. On my system at home, I have KPilot configured to use
/dev/pilot. It just sits around and waits for /dev/pilot to come into
being. My USB hotplug agent detects that a Pilot is attached, and then
does ln -s /dev/the-real-device /dev/pilot, and voila!

Hm, this info isn't in the FAQ. I know I've posted my usbd.conf to the
list in the past, and I've repeatedly solicited writeups from people
condemned to use Linux on how to make the hotplug thingy work there,
without getting a definitive response.

Filing a wish - I see you already have - isn't going to get you anywhere,
I'll probably close it with "install a sensible OS". KPilot shouldn't have
to monitor every possible USB device entry.

--
 Adriaan de Groot    adridg@cs.kun.nl     Kamer A6020     024-3652272
GPG Key Fingerprint 934E 31AA 80A7 723F 54F9  50ED 76AC EE01 FEA2 A3FE