List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] KPilot & PERL
From:       Adriaan de Groot <adridg () sci ! kun ! nl>
Date:       2004-06-25 15:18:04

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004, Arild Bergh wrote:

> > The perl code is a proof-of-concept conduit - it's not exactly tested at
> > all beyond being able to do a single assignment. It's there in case
> > someone with a vested interest in running a perl-based conduit shows up.
> > That would be you :)
> >
> > Try assigning an integer value to $a in your code, in addition to whatever
> > else you want to do. You never know, eh.
>
> Well, waddya know, that did it.

Yeah, I think the C code tries to read the value of $a at the end of
execution, and derefs a NULL pointer if there is no $a - this is a bug,
and should be fixed if anyone really wants to use the conduit. Note also
there is no provision for logging to kpilot's log widget from perl.

> Excellent! Now I'll try to use the PERL::Palm
> libraries to finally synch my bookmarks with my Treo 600. Well done. One
> minor detail I noticed: If you make any changes to the PERL statement you
> have to close down KPilot & KPDaemon for the changes to take effect. Not a
> biggie exactly.

Typical sync-of-config files problem - it's partly remedied in some
places, but remains an open problem.

> However, it seems that the File conduit is not working, I turned it off, and
> then on again, also re-started KP, but it refuses to copy files across...
> strange.

If you have the source, grep for "internal_fileinstaller", and change it
to "internal_fileinstall" in pilotDaemon.cc. Fixed in CVS and in more
recent tarballs, I think.

--
 Adriaan de Groot    adridg@cs.kun.nl     Kamer A6020     024-3652272
GPG Key Fingerprint 934E 31AA 80A7 723F 54F9  50ED 76AC EE01 FEA2 A3FE