List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Performance in Kontact / KMail
From:       Ingo =?iso-8859-1?q?Kl=F6cker?= <kloecker () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-05-30 10:56:18

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Sunday 30 May 2004 12:29, Luis Miguel García Mancebo wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Please, don't take this email as "angry" or something like that,
> but...
>
> is any of you taking care of performance in kontact (expecially
> kmail)?

No, we are constantly thinking of new ways to make it more slow. ;-)
SCNR

> I say this because I have used almost all email apps (sylpheed,
> evolution...), and I've just discovered Kontact/Kmail a few weeks
> ago. I prefer Kontact because of the tight integration with kde and
> because it has lots of options to configure it.
>
> But I have noted that it's the slowest of them. At least it is slower
> when I choose another folder to see that messages in there,

We actually think that KMail is very fast when switching folders. But we
haven't tried other email apps. Currently the speed is mainly
controlled by the speed of QListView. The code in KMail itself is
already highly optimized, so now we can only hope that QListView will
get faster with Qt 4.0.

BTW, switching the first time to a folder doesn't tell much about the
speed because the first time all messages have to be sorted. Then KMail
will write the sort order to disk. So the second (third, etc.) time you
switch to a folder it should be faster because then KMail will already
know how to sort most of the messages.

> and fetching (with filetering) new email.

Filtering is a problem if you use spamassassin because then KMail will
block. But apart from that the speed of fetching new mail isn't really
that important. Most people will make KMail look for new mail every x
minutes and it really doesn't matter how long it takes. Were are you
fetching mail from? A local spool file? A POP account?

> My question is: is anyone taking care or trying to improve speed on
> Kontact?

Of course, we do. But as I wrote above folder switching is already
highly optimized. Unless we rewrite QListView ourselves there's almost
nothing we can do about the speed. Anyway, I have several folders with
several tens thousand messages and don't really think that switching
folders is slow. Moreover, apart from the blocking when piping messages
through external programs during filtering I don't consider the speed
to fetch messages to be of importance.

> P.S.: I have used Kontact from 3.2.2 and I now at 3.3.0_alpha1.

If you would use disconnected IMAP then you would have noticed that this
has been optimized a lot since KDE 3.2.x.

Moreover fetching messages from a POP server while leaving messages on
the POP server has been improved a lot (from O(nm) to O(n+m)) where m
is the number of old messages and n is the number of new messages.

Regards,
Ingo