List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] [OT] dynamic linking question
From:       Joern Ahrens <kde () jokele ! de>
Date:       2004-05-12 18:32:08

On Wednesday 12 May 2004 19:09, Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:

> > export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> >
> > But it might also be at the kde level - you need to tell kde about the
> > new prefix, if you're installing into a new prefix.
> > export KDEDIRS=/usr/local:/usr  for instance (then "kdeinit")
>
> Okay, but how can I make a kde started from kdm aware that I have kdepim
> compiled to ~/.build, and not to /usr like the rest of kde?
>
> I set the KDEDIRS and LD_LIBRARY_PATH in my .bash_profile, and they are set
> correctly.But Alt+F2 doesn't know about all those binaries in ~/.build/bin,
> and korganizer started from a konsole (where PATH, KDEDIRs, LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> is set correctly to find korganizer, etc.) doesn't find the libraries
> unless I run kbuildsycocoa --incremental before starting korganizer.
> If I forget that, korganizer will startup without any resources, and I have
> to add all my resources manually again (the "new" settings without any of
> my already configured resources are written to the config file if you exit
> korganizer!).

Same problem here with gentoo linux. KDE is installed from the gentoo packages
and kdepim is installed from HEAD in /opt/kdepim-cvs. To solve it, I have a
file in /etc/env.d/ which sets the paths for kde

/etc/env.d/48kdepaths:
[...]
PATH=/opt/kdepim-cvs/bin:/usr/kde/3.2/bin
LDPATH=/usr/kde/3.2/lib:/opt/kdepim-cvs/lib
KDEDIRS=/opt/kdepim-cvs:/usr

On gentoo startup env-update generates a file /etc/ld.so.conf with the libs in
it
[...]
/opt/kdepim-cvs/lib
/usr/kde/3.2/lib

That's all. But I don't know, if debian has a similar mechanism.

... Jörn