List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] compact folders doesn't work ?
From:       Ingo =?windows-1252?q?Kl=F6cker?= <kloecker () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-04-19 19:28:40

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 19 April 2004 14:11, Laurent Jacques wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying currently to compact my kmail folders (maildir format).
> Strangely, this doesn't seem to work excepted for "sent-mail" and
> "trash" folder.
>
> So, I have folders containing perhaps 4 or 5 recent text mails
> but these folders have still 100Mb.
>
> Does I miss something in the kmail configuring ?
>
> I'm using kmail 3.2.2 inside kontact, and my home account is NFS
> imported from a server.

Sometimes KMail refuses to compact a folder (because it's overly
cautious). In this case you'll have to do the following:
- Move all messages to another (temporary) folder.
- Select "Move All Message to Trash" in the empty folder.
- Move the messages back to the original folder.

BTW, I don't think that the folders are in maildir format because with
maildir all messages are in a file of their own and therefore
compaction is not necessary. Compaction is only necessary with mbox
because with mbox deleted messages are not immediately removed from the
mbox file. But with maildir deleted messages are immediately removed.

In the future please send questions regarding the usage of one of KDE's
PIM applications to kdepim-users@kde.org.

Regards,
Ingo