List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Writing plugin for kabc
From:       Mark Bucciarelli <mark () easymailings ! com>
Date:       2004-03-20 17:28:44

On Saturday 20 March 2004 11:59 am, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> On Saturday 20 March 2004 17:36, Tobias Koenig wrote:
> > >
> > > If it is a subset of the data or not doesn't matter for the code
> > > doing the iteration.
> >
> > It's not only about the iteration, it's mostly about the data that
> > has to be transfered from the server to the client.
>
> Yes, that's a problem we have to solve. But that's exactly why we have
> to separate the browsing (iteration) case and the search case (which
> needs server access).

If the issue is network traffic, why not create an extremely lightweight proxy
object for an addressbook entry and have the server return a collection of
these?

The proxy accessors then can to go back to the server to get more info if the
client app tries to access a field that is not in the proxy object.

In huge search result sets, I would imagine that a very small subset would
need to go back to the server.  With this approach, no changes are necessary
to client code.

If the proxy can be as light as 100 bytes (name + email), 10,000 entries would
require 10^6 bytes, which on a modem connection is around 200 seconds (if a
modem = 5x1024 bytes/second.)  Hmmm, this still seems pretty slow ...

It depends on what people want to search by, I guess. I haven't been following
this thread closely enough to know the use cases.  If this is mainly for
things like auto-completion as you type in the email address, then maybe you
could get away with the first 10 characters of the name and of the email
address .

Regards,

Mark